Five super-simple tips for surviving the silly season

Five super-simple tips for surviving the silly season

Author -  Healtheries

Do you often get to the end of the festive season needing a holiday? Parties, gift-buying, catching up with friends and family, great food, and often-present alcohol: the Christmas season does tend to be a time of excess.

In fact, you might even find you have more energy for merrymaking if you try out a few of the top tips below:

Tip #1: Get organised in advance

  • It’s awesome to spend time with friends and relatives you don’t get to see during the rest of the year. However, by the time you factor in Christmas parties, family get-togethers and social engagements, you can end up feeling like you’re on the go 24/7.
  • That can leave you feeling exhausted and overwhelmed, especially if you’re a bit of an introvert (someone who needs their alone-time to recharge). So rather than saying “Yes” to every invitation, identify which events you really want to go to, then offer your apologies for the rest.

Tip #2: Pay down some sleep debt

  • Too many late night parties in a row are guaranteed to leave you feeling flat. Plus, if you don’t need to get up early for work the next morning, it’s tempting to stay up late even if you’re not going out.
  • Most of us don’t regularly get the 7-9 hours of sleep our bodies need each night. That means we all too often start the holiday season in sleep debt. So on evenings when you’re at home anyway, why not plan to get an early night and start paying back some of that debt?
  • Plus, if you need a little extra “zing” in the morning, Healtheries Boost® Energy provides the perfect blend of Vitamin B Complex + Guarana. Healtheries Great Night's Sleep may also help you to fall asleep, stay asleep, and wake up refreshed.

Tip #3: Manage your stress

  • The festive season isn’t a time of celebration and good cheer for everyone. Family conflicts, pressing pre-holiday work deadlines, financial worries – they can all come to a head around the Christmas period. Practices like yoga, meditation and deep breathing may help; as can taking time out to reflect on everything that’s gone well over the past year.
  • Plus, if you could do with some nutritional stress support, Healtheries Boost® Revive combines Vitamins C + B Complex for nervous system health.

Tip #4: Maintain some kind of exercise regime

  • If you’re used to working out early before work starts, it can be hard to keep the routine going once you get to sleep in. It’s OK to relax your usual regimen a little: you don’t have to be at the gym every day at 6am while you’re on holiday.
  • Try to do keep doing some kind of activity most days of the week though – even if it’s just going for a walk together with family. Your body is built to move, and a little activity helps with managing stress and maintaining energy.

Tip #5: Aim to eat healthy 80% of the time

  • If there’s one thing that characterises the holiday season for most Kiwis it’s all the delicious food. But too many of the wrong food choices can play havoc with your energy levels, your digestive health, and your waistline.
  • You don’t have to totally avoid all the scrummy holiday desserts. Just make sure you fill up on lots of fresh, tasty, nutritious food – fruits, veges, whole grains, lean protein and healthy fats – first. A great balance to aim for is 80% good stuff, then save the other 20% for treats. 
  • Plus, if your digestive health could do with a little support, consider Healtheries Probiotica P3. It’s our convenient, one-a-day probiotic which supports digestive health and a healthy immune system.